Thursday 15 January 2009

TESTIMONY

I would like to share a simple testimony how I became a Christian … First, I would like to tell you one of my favourite verses:

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for you are with me” Psalm 23 : 4

This verse has given me great strength and courage to be able to gain my life back and I am free from worries since November 27 2005, the day I became a born-again Christian at ACBC (Arlington Chinese Baptist Church), Texas.

Before October of 2004 I thought I was the happiest and luckiest woman in the whole world. My life was perfect, fascinating … (now that I realize after reading Ecclesiastes chapter 1: 1-2 --- “ pleasures of meaningless, chasing after wind…” I didn’t know what poverty was nor would I care about ‘love yourself, love your neighbours’ ... well my good life ended on 13th October 2004.

Everything was taken away from me - I lost my highly paid job. I became very ill and suffered from serious depression and anxiety and I was suicidal - then I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis … then, worse came in January 2005. We had to relocate to Texas, the worst state in US that we never wanted to go to and it’s a bible belt - too holy to us - not for us – we had always hated Texas but we had no choice. We managed to live there for 3 and a half years. I am excited to count down the time that I am going home next week and I can’t wait to see my home ACBC (Arlington Chinese Baptist Church) where God’s brought me to -- It’s all mighty God’s plan to bring me there to get to know Him and Jesus, our saviour, who has taught me love and caring, forgiving, faith, humility, obedience and much more … Since my husband Charles had tried everything to treat my depression and anxiety but did not seem to help. One day, in March 2005 after our second month in Texas I asked him if it’s OK for me to go to church, it might help … he agreed but he told me seriously that if I became a Christian it would cause us a divorce. In April I found ACBC; since then I participated in every Sunday school and service and church activities, fellowship… I had doubt and curiosity about finding God and what Jesus did for us… it took me a long time to know very little, still I don’t know much but I am willing to learn … more.

In November, I was ready for baptism on Thanksgiving Day because I found that it’s significant and it’s my favourite festival. I was so worried and scared that I might have to choose either Jesus Christ or my husband, it became a serious issue . I thought about that since God is full of kindness and love He definitely wouldn’t separate a couple? how am I going to resolve this issue -- oh God for the first time, my first prayer for help “God help me and teach me and give me courage to tell Charles”. Surprisingly just a minute before I was ready to tell Charles, my fear was gone - I said, “honey, I have something to announce - I am going to get baptized this Thursday on Thanksgiving day and you are invited to come to the ceremony”. Guess what Charles said to me? “Oh ya you are, umhhh congratulations, but I don’t go to church, well I could do a splash over your head in the shower room at home for you … hahaha!” That was the response from my husband …

I am so grateful that God’s with me. Often I know that and I can feel it and its blessing and nothing is greater than that ever since I have begun my Christian life - the greatest gift is given to me “ joy and peace at heart”. I have learned a lot God’s word by participating in Bible study, fellowship, prayer meetings, knowing that one of our big assignments is to serve and spread God’s word and do what the words say. I am willing to do what the words say and give help to the needy with all my heart, my soul and strength. I have learned that “giving is better than receiving” in that I have received a lot already.

Christina Nicoll